Nigeria Court Marriage Guide

Bro Kunle Emmanuel
date_of_ marriage: 23 Oct 2000

Nigeria Court Marriage Guide

Post by Bro Kunle Emmanuel » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:35 pm

Naija Court Marriage Guide
There are some important things you need to know when you decide to have a court marriage in Nigeria; these are summarized below in our little guide.

1. FILING OF MARRIAGE NOTICE

a). Pick up a FORM from the Registry of your choice (Lagos – Ikoyi Registry or any Registries at the State and Local Government level) to indicate your intention to marry. The form is a NOTICE FORM or otherwise called a FORM A. You will be required to fill in ALL your personal details.
b) You would also need to have TWO (2) coloured passport photographs.

c) The form is posted on the NOTICEBOARD at the Registry for Twenty-one (21) days. The notice is also entered in a book called the Marriage Notice Book, which may be inspected during office hours without fee.

After the expiration of the notice and payment of the Prescribed Fee (this differs at each Registry, but it is usually not more than Two Thousand Naira- N2, 000), the Registrar would issue a FORM C after the following criteria has been met and satisfied:

i) that one of the parties has been resident within the district in which the marriage is intended to be celebrated

ii) that each of the parties to the intended marriage (not being a widower or widow) is twenty-one years old, and if under that age, the consent hereinafter made requisite has been obtained in writing and is annexed to such affidavit……!big grammar, simply means you have to get written permission/consent from the lady’s parent or legal guardian

iii) that there is not any impediment of kindred or affinity, or any other lawful hindrance to the marriage

iv) that neither of the parties to the intended marriage is married by customary law to any person other than the person with whom such marriage is proposed to be contracted.

After this a date is selected for the marriage ceremony

2. OATH TAKING

Once the above-mentioned things have been confirmed, the couple would swear an affidavit before the registrar or recognized minister of religion. During the sworn affidavit, the registrar would reiterate the above Prohibitive degrees and also explain the penalties involved.

Any failure to disclose a breach in any of the above makes the defaulter liable to TWO (2) years imprisonment…! Did I hear you snigger; you get prison time for lying!!

The Registrar signs a declaration/affidavit to show that the couple understands the implications under the law and have met and satisfied all that has been required of them.

The Minister upon proof that there is no lawful impediment to the proposed marriage, and that the necessary consent, if any, to such marriage has been obtained, will dispense with the giving of notice, issue the certificate, and grant his license, known as Form D, authorizing the celebration of a marriage between the parties named in such license.

A date for the wedding is selected by the couple. This would have to be within Three (3) months from the date the notice has been placed with the Registry. ….! Hurdle No 2 crossed! No hidden skeletons. Phew!
PREPARE FOR MARRIAGE and ORGANISE A WEDDING CEREMONY!

Cecil00
date_of_ marriage: 10 May 2014

Re: Nigeria Court Marriage Guide

Post by Cecil00 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 am

Nice! it is valuable indeed for those who want to marry in courts. But i am looking for the Wedding venues in Las Vegas. I need recommendation so that i can choose the best venue for my wedding.

Social Media