Honouring Marriage Vow

Bro Monday
date_of_ marriage: 20 Jul 1998

Honouring Marriage Vow

Post by Bro Monday » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:46 pm

A marriage vow is a mutual promise to fulfill the purpose of marriage to the end of life. Divorce and separation is a legal confirmation of the failure to keep the vow of marriage. The fact that over 50% of marriages fail underscores the strength and character of the challenges of keeping our marriage vows. Any other institution that records less than 50% success will be seen as abysmal failure.

PROBLEM: Obviously marriage as we know it in the 21st century is distant departure from the original plan of God. Let us take a look at our current assumptions:
1. Marriage is based on tradition and customs.
2. Our concept of Marriage is based on what is in vogue.
3. We mimic our mom and dad in marriage (with children of broken homes likely to break their marriage vows).
4. Most couples follow the letter and not the spirit of marriage.

Solution If we as parents work at honoring our vows, it is actually the ripples of that honoring which is passed onto our children, for they see us honoring each other as well as us honoring them, it is then passed on into society as the children become adults. However, if the opposite occurs, our children see us not honoring our vows or dishonoring each other, subsequently they feel dishonored and in return, that same dishonor is passed back to us and back into our society.

Without the honoring of the vows, the vows become a contract – “I’ll do this for you, if you do that for me.” It negates the entire essence of the vows – “it does not matter what you do to me or for me or what you don’t do, I will always keep my side of this marriage no matter what” – a covenant, ‘til death do us part.

Therefore we must go back to the creator of the institution of marriage for the manual for marriage. Only marriages that are based on the principles of God will survive the changing terrain of the 21st century. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom including wisdom for successful marriage. Prov. 1:7

Social Media